Before we dive into the step-by-step explaining how to use conditioner, it’s good to know why applying hair conditioner it’s a crucial step in our hair care routine.
Why do we use conditioner?
The closer the hair is to the root, the younger and more healthy-looking it is. The opposite is true for the lengths and ends. Why? Because this hair’s been exposed to different types of damage.
Did you know that hair grown to shoulder length is 2-3 years old? That’s a lot of showers, hair brushing, styling and exposure to elements, like sun or humidity. This is why we see damage in the form of split or dry ends. So, what are those types of damage?
- Physical. Combing and towel rubbing can weaken the surface of those strands.
- Chemical. Colourants, perms, straightening and styling products can damage the hair’s structure and resilience.
- Environmental. UV light, wind, humidity and pollution all impact your hair’s condition.
- Health. Your diet and inner health can influence the condition of your hair. If you’re ill, you’ll notice your hair may appear dull and a little lifeless.
All of these can lead to surface damage, making hair less shiny and less healthy-looking. It’s also much more prone to breaking. Lucky for us, there’s conditioner.
Conditioner helps to repair damage and protect hair from external elements. So, the next questions is, 'are you getting the most out of your conditioner?'.
How to use conditioner
Our hair conditioner tips will make sure those hair worries are a thing of the past. Just follow these easy steps explaining how to apply conditioner;
- Shampoo first. Don’t apply hair conditioner and then shampoo. Why? Because shampoo is a cleansing agent designed to clean the dirt, pollution and impurities from your hair. If you apply conditioner first, the shampoo will simply cleanse away these benefits
- Choose the right conditioner. There are a lot of options out there, so make sure you consider the type of hair you have (thin, thick, oily, long, coloured) and what your hair needs (moisture, damage repair, split end support). If you’re looking for the best conditioner to moisturise hair, we’ve put together a helpful guide to point you in the right direction. If your hair’s sending SOS signals, try our super repairing 3 Minute Miracle Reconstructor formula with Australian Macadamia Nut Oil. It helps restore damaged hair leaving it soft, shiny and full of life.
- Know how much conditioner to use and how often. We have a few hair conditioner tips that’ll change the way you use conditioner. Did you know the amount you use and how often you condition your hair should depend on your hair type and needs? That’s right! If your hair’s in poor condition, you’ll want to treat it more often to help bring back the bounce and shine.
- Start at the tips. Like we mentioned earlier, hair closest to the tips has been exposed to more damaging scenarios, compared to younger sections of hairs that are closer to your scalp. So, start with those older strands and work your way up, giving the conditioner more time to soak into the hair that really needs it. Conditioner can be applied all-over, but if you’re looking to boost volume at the roots then stick to the lengths & ends when conditioning.
- Let it soak into your hair. Let the moisture-boosting properties help repair and protect your hair by letting it soak into those strands for a few minutes.
- Wash out. Once the hair conditioner has soaked into those strands, make sure you rinse your hair thoroughly so there’s no residue as that can leave hair a little flat.
- Stick to the conditioner that’s right for you. It’s a common misconception that you need to switch out your shampoo or conditioner otherwise it’ll lose its effect. If you’ve found the conditioner for your hair type, you can keep using it and it and achieve the results you’re after – the effect will not wear down.
And there you have it… all you need to know on how to conditioner hair for the luscious, shiny and beautifully conditioned hair you’ve been craving.
Not sure what conditioner’s right for your hair? We’ve put together 4 ingredient rich leave-in conditioners that will work (hair) miracles.