Bye, bye flyaways and hello strong hold hair that’s in place from dusk till dawn. But did you know hairspray can help you achieve that voluminous look at your roots, protect hair from frizz and add shine to dull strands? Ooooh how mighty this little wonder worker truly is if you know how to use hairspray properly. So, here’s how! You’re a spritz and style away from effortless A-beauty just like our friends from the land down under.
Why use hairspray?
Why use hairspray?’ we hear you ask… you might think of hairspray for its ability to hold hair in its place, but hairspray’s powers extend beyond locking that style. If your hair tends to fall flat at the roots, a little hairspray can lift and hold for volume to envy.
Another benefit of flexible hold hairspray is that it gives tresses a moveable bouncy look without flyaways and frizz. The difference between a flexible hold and a strong hold is that the former still allows hair to move for a more natural appearance. Strong hold hairspray’s typically used for formal events and up-dos when you want the style stuck in place. A flexible hold’s the better option if you’re wearing hair down and you’re after movement minus the flyaways. More natural Aussie style!
Lastly, with the right hairspray, you can give dull-looking hair a natural shine that perfects your look, so you and those tresses can shine bright day and night!
The thing is, it’s all well and good to know why to use hairspray, but pointless if you don’t know how to use hairspray properly…
How to use hairspray in 5 easy steps
Knowing how to apply hairspray is half the challenge. So, here’s how to master a natural style in 4 easy steps;
• Step 1: Apply to clean hair. For best results, make sure your hair’s clean of product build-up or grease and impurities. So, give those tresses a proper cleanse with a shampoo that’s gentle on tresses. Aussie Mega Shampoo is your perfect mate here. It’ll give you cleaner, shinier more vibrant hair from the first wash. For hair bouncier than a wallaby gone walkabout, apply a coin-sized amount (more as you need it) to damp hair and work into a lather. Smell the deliciousness as you give yourself a little head massage and rinse! Follow up with Aussie Mega Conditioner, worked through the lengths of hair, to remove tangles and leave hair clean, luscious and style ready.
• Step 2: Make sure your hair’s dry. If you apply hairspray to damp hair, you might not get the results you’re after. Hairspray’s best used when your style’s ready to be locked down. When hair’s damp or wet, the overall effect is still going to change, so applying to dry hair means you know what you’ll get! When your dry hair, avoid ruffling with the towel and pat dry before using a hairdryer. The gentler you are with the towel the better!
• Step 3: Choose the right hairspray. Depending on the look you’re after there are different hairsprays to suit. If you’re after added shine, Aussie Shine Bright Tonight Hairspray will help you shimmer like the diamond you are. For added volume and lift, reach for Aussie Uplift your Hair Hairspray with Australia Sea Kelp. Both will make sure your hair doesn’t shift in the breeze, but it’ll brush out like one!
• Step 4: Keep your distance. Hold the nozzle 15cm away from your hair to get an even layer and just enough hold. If you hold the nozzle too lose to strands and spray, the product won’t apply evenly and will build in one place too much.
• Step 5: Spray evenly. Don’t hover on an area to long otherwise you’ll get an uneven application that can lead you straight back to step 1. Try to cover the overall head evenly.
Top tip: If it’s voluminous roots you’re after, flip your clean, dry tresses upside down and spray evenly at the roots. Brush downwards towards the floor with your fingers, wait a few seconds and flip hair right way up. Et voila! For more tips on how to get volume in hair, we’ve put together a little guide to help.
If you’re sporting a bob cut or shorter style, lift sections of hair and spray at an angle, evenly from root toward the ends of your hair. Then ruffle using your fingers for a naturally messy style that holds.
When to use hairspray
You can use hairspray as part of your daily routine, or if you’re looking to jazz things up a bit. It’s really down to you and your hair needs. Hairspray’s not reserved for those flashy nights out or those styles that require a force of bobby pins to hold. Just try it out!
Whether those roots need a lift, those tresses need shine or your style needs a little break from frizz and flyaways, keep it together with a few spritz of hairspray and you’re prepped for any Aussie adventure.